Make salad more exciting by adding succulent steak and green chimichurri sauce with this steak salad recipe. You’ll have a healthy and impressive meal without much effort! It only takes 30 minutes.
Salad can get boring and so can the steak and potatoes standby. So I like to liven things up by putting steak with a bright, fresh salad, and then I finish the steak salad with a bold chimichurri sauce recipe. This sauce is a great choice since it’s most commonly used with steak and a great dressing for a salad too. With this recipe, you end up with a colorful meal that’s light while filling, and that gives you a bunch of healthy nutrients.
Elements of This Steak Salad
I combine a lot of healthy, fresh ingredients in this salad to give you a lot of health value and flavor. From the steak, you get protein and essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin B12 and iron. The sliced avocado provides healthy fats and a boost of fiber. Then, I balance out these heavier, filling ingredients with a bunch of veggies, including a spring salad mix with baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, and baby bella mushrooms. And the chimichurri sauce gives you antioxidants and nutrients, as well as powerful flavor, with its mixture of herbs and other ingredients.
Throw Together a Simple, Delicious Meal
Since steak elevates a salad and makes it gourmet, you might think it’s expensive. Actually, I created this recipe when the steak is on sale. The 1-pound piece you see in the photos was $3.97! Unbelievable, right? One fellow Instagrammer said that steak sales are better than shoe sales. I’ll have to agree!
To cook the steak, it’s simple. You could either grill it quickly in a Fusion Cooker or on a gas grill (or you could cook it in a pan on the stove), and then you grill or pan fry some onion rings and mushrooms. Simply prep some greens, chop up some tomatoes and slice one avocado. Throw it all together and display it on a platter or in a salad bowl and drizzle with the chimichurri sauce. That’s it! Your family members or guests will be impressed! And when you want a change, you could make a similar meal with a totally different flavor using my Thai Beef Salad recipe.
I hope you enjoy this 30-min meal. With leftover steak, this dish takes even less time to put together. Now, I would love to know how you would use your chimichurri sauce. Leave a comment below and let’s see what ideas we can all come up with. Cheers!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 pound top sirloin steak or flank steak, 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to season
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1" rings (Keep them together for grilling.)
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 5 ounces baby spinach and spring mix
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup chimichurri sauce (Click here for the recipe.)
- Set the grilling pan on the heating element of a Fusion Cooker. Select "Grill" mode, set the temperature to 445°F and let it preheat for 4-5 minutes.
- Take steak out of your fridge and let it sit in the room temperature for 5 minutes. In the meantime, use a paper towel to gently pat the surface of both sides of the steak dry.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of the steak or use olive oil cooking spray. Generously season the steak with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the seasoned steak on the grilling pan, cover with the metal lid. Set timer for 4 minutes. Flip and grill the other side for 3 minutes until the internal temperature of the steak reaches 145°F for medium doneness; 135°F for medium rare and 155°F for medium well.
- Once the steak is done, transfer to a warm plate and cover it with foil. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add onion rings and mushrooms to the grilling pan. No need to wash the pan because you want your vegetables to absorb that steak juice. Cover with the metal lid and grill at 445°F for 4-5 minutes on each side until char marks appear.
- To assemble, arrange baby spinach and spring mix on the bottom of a large serving plate, followed by the onion rings and mushrooms. Slice the steak and place on top of the vegetables. Top with cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado. Drizzle the Chimichurri sauce over the steak salad and serve!
Regular Gas Grill Method:
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. Season onion rings and mushrooms with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Place onion rings and mushrooms on grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes per side until char marks appear. Remove and set aside.
3. Take steak out of your fridge and let it sit in the room temperature for 5 minutes. Use a paper towel to gently pat the surface of both sides of the steak dry.
4. Brush olive oil on both sides of the steak or use olive oil cooking spray. Generously season the steak with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Place the steak on the grill. Grill each side for 3-5 minutes until the internal temperature of the steak reaches 145°F for medium doneness; 135°F for medium rare and 155°F for medium well. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
6. To assemble, arrange baby spinach and spring mix on the bottom of a large serving plate, followed by the onion rings and mushrooms. Slice the steak against the grain and place on top of the vegetables. Top with cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado. Drizzle the Chimichurri sauce over the steak salad and serve!
Top 7 One-Dish Meals Mini Cookbook
Download DelishPlan's Top 7 One-Dish Meals Mini Cookbook Instantly for FREE, plus easy-to-make recipes and exclusive cooking tips every week.