A flavorful, healthy meal that replaces pasta with low-calorie and nutrient-rich zucchini. This one-pan spicy chicken zucchini noodles recipe is ready within 30 minutes, perfect for a busy weeknight.
I made zucchini noodles for the very first time in my life the other day. I had no idea why I waited for so long to do it. In fact, I was kind of mad at myself for not making zucchini noodles earlier because it’s SO GOOD.
When you’re looking for a healthy meal to continue with New Year’s resolutions or just as part of an ongoing goal, this spicy chicken zucchini noodles recipe is a great choice. It doesn’t include any grains if you’re trying to stay away from them, and I even give an alternative to soy sauce if you want to make the recipe completely gluten-free. Plus, this dish combines a number of fresh and health-boosting ingredients, including zucchini, skinless chicken, coconut milk and fresh herbs. Best of all, the combination of flavors tastes great so you won’t feel like you’re sacrificing anything to incorporate healthier meals in your life.
In this zucchini noodles recipe, I use spiralized zucchini instead of a pasta or rice. Zucchini is a summer squash that adds great health benefits to your life. First, it’s very low in calories so it can help you reduce your calorie intake while still filling you up. It also gives you a variety of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to support your health. It’s rich in vitamin C, manganese and phytonutrients that support eye health. I use about four zucchinis in this four-serving recipe so each person gets the health benefits of a whole zucchini.
On top of giving you a healthy, enjoyable meal, I made this recipe so it would be quick and easy for a busy weeknight. You simply throw a few ingredients together into this one-pan meal for fast prep and cleanup. It took me 20 minutes to prep this dish and only 10 minutes to cook it, so you can plate it within a half hour (plus optional marinating time).
This recipe ends up looking amazing with its vibrant touches of green from the herbs and zucchini. And I like to serve it with some lime wedges for extra color and of course more flavor. I hope you and your family enjoy it!
Replace pasta with low-calorie and nutrient-rich zucchini, this one-pan spicy chicken zucchini noodles recipe is ready within 30 minutes!
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 5-6 cups spiralized zucchini (about 4 zucchinis)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoon Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce (use Tamari or coconut aminos for a gluten-free version)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves garlic)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
- Use a spiralizer or a julienne peeler to make zucchini noodles.
- Place the zoodles in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Use both of your hands to rub the zoodles to make sure the salt is distributed evenly. This will help get rid of the liquid from the zucchinis.
- Cut chicken into 2-inch-long thin strips and place in a container. Wash hands. Whisk chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, minced garlic and brown sugar until well blended. Place half of the sauce in the container with the chicken. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes (or overnight). If you are in a hurry, marinating the chicken for only a few minutes is not going to be a deal breaker.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Place chicken with the marinade in the pan, cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the other half of reserved chili sauce mixture to the pan, followed by coconut milk. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- By now, your zucchini noodles should be ready. Add them into the pan, discard the water from the zucchinis. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in basil, cilantro, chicken, and green onions. Top with peanuts and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!
Top 7 One-Dish Meals Mini Cookbook
Download DelishPlan's Top 7 One-Dish Meals Mini Cookbook Instantly for FREE, plus easy-to-make recipes and exclusive cooking tips every week.