Scallops marinated in a seasoned beer mixture, grilled on a cedar plank that’s soaked in beer along with onions and bell peppers in the same marinade, this cedar plank beer scallops recipe makes a wonderful weekday dinner. Or, open a bottle of good wine to pair with it, and suddenly, you’ve got a fabulous date night dinner. Date night in is the best kind of date, in my opinion. 🙂
You know when you experience something good, you’d never want to do it the old way. It’s like when you are used to the internet speed that Google Fiber provides, you’d never want to stare at a blank page waiting for it to load while someone is streaming a video under the same roof. It’s like you wear a pair of Bose headphones on a 14-hour flight. Even if you don’t listen to music or watch movies, the fact that the headphones block any noise from the aircraft including the running engines, it makes your entire trip so much more comfortable and productive.
That’s why we do our best to make our lives better and maintain the good experiences, right? It’s the human nature.
I had a similar experience in cooking a little while ago. I soaked two cedar planks in white wine and made salmon with them. Ever since then, I’ve considered water as a backup when it comes to soaking cedar planks.
This time, I tried beer with cedar plank scallops and it turned out so well. To enhance the flavor, I also used beer to marinate the scallops. I am not a beer person, but after creating this recipe, I think I found my favorite way to enjoy a can of beer. And I hope you’ll give it a try as well. Here is how you do it.
Reserve 1/2 cup beer from a 12-oz can and soak a cedar plank in the rest of the beer. Add minced garlic, old bay seasoning, brown sugar, and red chili flakes to the reserved beer and marinate sea scallops in the beer mixture. In the meantime, chop up some red onions and yellow bell pepper. You can use green, red or even sweet mini peppers for this recipe. When the cedar plank is soaked for at least an hour, place it on direct heat on a grill over medium heat or heat it in the oven at 400°F for 5 minutes to get it ready. Then you can put the marinated scallops on the prepared cedar plank.
Don’t discard the marinade. Pour it over on the vegetables in a cast iron skillet. Now it’s time to cook your scallops and your vegetables, side by side. Your fabulous dinner will be ready in less than minutes from this point on.
If you are on a gluten-free diet, just substitute white wine for the beer. It really can’t go wrong. As for the vegetables, instead of grilling or roasting, I’d recommend that you sauté them over medium-high heat so that the wine can evaporate through the cooking process. Maybe roasting the vegetables in a wine mixture will be just fine but I am concerned that the wine won’t evaporate thoroughly, leaving an overwhelming flavor in the vegetables. I haven’t tried it yet, so I can’t speak from experience. However, sautéing the vegetables will definitely work.
Here you have it – another cedar plank seafood in alcohol recipe. I hope you get a chance to try this scallop recipe and I can’t wait to hear how you like it. Leave a comment below and let me know. Happy cooking as always!
Scallops marinated with beer, old bay seasoning, fresh garlic, ground pepper and red chili flakes, then grilled/baked on a cedar plank soaked in beer. Super tasty!
1 hrPrep Time
8 minCook Time
1 hr, 8 Total Time
- 1 cedar plank
- 1 (12-fl oz) can beer
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 large sea scallops
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cilantro for garnishing and lemon wedges for serving
- Soak cedar plank in beer for at least an hour, reserving 1/2 cup beer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the reserved beer, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, red chili flakes, brown sugar and garlic. Stir well, then place sea scallops into the marinade. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the cedar plank into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer the marinated scallops onto the prepared cedar plank. Grab some garlic and seasoning bits from the bottom of the bowl and place them on each scallop. Dot each scallop with one butter piece.
- In a cast iron skillet, toss onion and bell pepper with olive oil. Pour the scallop marinade into the skillet. Mix well.
- Place both the scallops and the vegetables into the oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the scallops are firm and opaque.
- Remove the scallops and the vegetables from the oven. Garnish with cilantro and serve together with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Enjoy!
If using a grill, preheat grill to medium heat. Place the cedar plank on grill rack over direct medium heat. Cover and heat 4-5 minutes or until light to medium smoke comes from the plank and the wood begins to crackle. Turn the plank over and place on indirect heat. Place scallops on plank. Place the cast iron skillet with veggies on the direct medium heat. Grill, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until the scallops are firm and opaque, and the veggies are soft.
Top 7 One-Dish Meals Mini Cookbook
Download DelishPlan's Top 7 One-Dish Meals Mini Cookbook Instantly for FREE, plus easy-to-make recipes and exclusive cooking tips every week.